Long Term Update 4: 2009 Audi A4 Avant


Everybody loves this wagon
From the June, 2010 issue of Motor Trend
/ By Ron Kiino
/ Photography by William Walker



Click to view Gallery
"Since the A4 Avant is one of the most coveted vehicles of many staffers, I've been looking forward to finally getting some time in it," notes photographer Julia LaPalme. "After driving it for five days, I had mixed feelings about this wagon. One of the first things I noted was the excellent visibility. Audi did a good job minimizing the visual impact of the C- and D-pillars, especially with the extra window behind the D-pillar. The cargo capacity is impressive, as, from the outside, the vehicle appears quite small. I was able to fit two 3x3-foot bounce boards in the back without having to remove the cargo cover. Further, the back seats that fold down nearly flat are a nice bonus."



Click to view Gallery
While LaPalme considers both the visibility and cargo capacity plusses, she found the A4's blind-spot warning system a mixed bag. "The A4's blind-spot system, which warns of a vehicle (or object, as it seems) in the driver's blind spot by flashing a yellow light on the side mirror, took a little getting used to, as the lights are so bright. I thought I was seeing emergency vehicles in my sideview mirrors. It was startling. The other problem with this feature is it's rather conservative for driving in L.A. traffic. The warning lights will flash even when a car in the next lane is a car length behind, which is plenty of space to move over into. The warning lights have also begun flashing when I'm in a mid-lane change and nowhere near hitting another vehicle. Upon inspection of the manual, I found these driver-assist lights can be adjusted for brightness or turned off entirely."


Associate Web editor Kirill Ougarov spent some time in the A4 and logs, "I'm glad this A4 has the Audi Drive Select feature that lets the driver dial in steering and suspension settings to his own preferences. I'm a big fan of dynamic mode, which puts the A4 closer in feel to the 3 Series."

No comments:

Post a Comment